SWEDISH PROVIDENCE WASABI MASHED POTATOES
- Srv: 6
- Cal: 257
- By: Edwin Franciso and Moe Lofti, Swedish Hospital Providence Campus, Seattle
- 1/2 medium head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 pounds Washington Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1/4 pound) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 100% real wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon salt Pinch pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove outer papery skin of garlic head. Rub cloves with oil. Place in small pan and bake until garlic can be easily pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel and quarter potatoes. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well. Mash potatoes with butter. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from skin into mashed potatoes. Add milk, wasabi, salt, and pepper. Mash until well blended.