Potato Leek Vichyssoise with Cr??me Fraiche
- Cal: 350
- By: Tom Black, The Barking Frog, Woodinville
- 1 pound Washington white potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 leeks, white portion only, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups crisp Chardonnay wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraiche
- Crème fraiche, garlic croutons and fresh thyme springs for garnish
Scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel and dice. Turn into a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside.
In a large saucepot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add leeks and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Stir in thyme and bay leaf. Add water, milk and wine. Heat to boiling.
Drain potatoes and add to saucepot. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend until smooth, using an immersion blender in saucepot OR blending about 3 cups at a time in a blender. Season to taste.
Chill. Whisk in the 1 1/2 cups crème Fraiche before serving. Garnish with a drizzle of crème Fraiche, garlic croutons and a sprig of thyme.