- By: Raquel DeHoyos/Boastful Food LLC
- 3 medium russet potatoes, rinsed, peeled and grated
- ½ medium yellow onion, grated
- 10 drops red food coloring
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup plain pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs, plus 1 ¼ cup for breading
- Canola oil spray
Preheat oven to400̊.
Place grated potatoes in a large microwaveable bowl and cover with cold water and plastic wrap. Microwave for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, carefully remove the plastic wrap, stir to prevent clumping, cover, and microwave an additional 5 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking, grate the onion and squeeze out any liquid. Set aside.
Place 1 cup of panko onto a large plate to bread the final tots. Setaside the final ¼ cup to use if needed.
Drain potatoes in a fine mesh colander and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Rinse and dry out the large bowl and return potatoes to the bowl. Add onion to the bowl along with the food coloring and stir to combine the colors. Next, add the curry, garlic powder, and salt. Finish by adding the pumpkin, cheese and½ cup of Panko bread crumbs. Mix all ingredients together.
Roll mixture into small tot form, about 1 heaping tablespoons worth of mixture per tot. Place onto a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll tots into Panko breading and return to the baking sheet. Spray generously with canola oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip tots, spray again and finish baking another 10minutes. Allow tots to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve with ketchup.