Sweet Onion, Ham, and Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
- Srv: 6
- Cal: 825
- By: Sean Akin The Winemaker’s Grill at Wapato Point Cellars Manson, Washington
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided + 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided + 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 pound lean ham, cut in julienne strips
- 3-1/2 cups heavy cream, divided (or enough to cover potatoes)
- 3 pounds Washington Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 9 slices Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces total)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Do not brown.
Add the ham, 2-1/2 cups of the heavy cream and potato slices, stirring occasionally to avoid browning and let potatoes cook evenly.
Add enough of the remaining heavy cream to cover the potatoes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are al dente or cooked halfway through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season with remaining salt and white pepper to taste.
Transfer mixture to large casserole or baking dish, filling no more than 2 inches deep. Cover with sliced cheese and bake until cheese is lightly browned and potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand for 5 to 8 minutes before serving.