Smoked Salmon Latkes
- Srv: 4
- Cal: 414
- By: Doug Murray, Washington State University, Dining Services Pullman, Washington
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (or any other good crab boil seasoning)
- 1-1 /2 pounds Washington Russet potatoes
- 5 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
Scrub potatoes under cold running water. Shred with large holes of a box grater or food processor. Turn the shreds into a strainer set over a bowl. Press potatoes firmly. Reserve liquid in a bowl. Let liquid stand several minutes. Pour off the top clean layer and reserve cloudy starch remaining.
Rinse squeezed potatoes with cold water. Drain in a colander.
In large bowl, combine all latke ingredients, including the reserved starch, and mix well. Form into silver dollar-sized cakes, squeezing to form the cakes. Arrange cakes on a paper towel covered cookie sheet. Pat dry with paper towels.
In a large skillet over high heat, heat enough oil to cover ¼ inch over the bottom of the pan until very hot. Add cakes and cook until well browned. Turn and cook the second side. Serve 3 cakes per portion. Spoon sour cream over.