Red Potato & Fig Salad
- Srv: 6
- 3 lbs. medium Washington red potatoes
- 4 oz. pancetta, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 oz. dried figs, stems removed and chopped
- 1 1/2 oz. crumbled goat cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Cut into 2-inch chunks (do not peel). Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely. HEat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and seet aside in large mixing bowl.
In large skillet, over medium-high heat, sauté pancetta until crisp. Lift pancetta out and set aside. Add onion to skillet and cook, stiring occasionally, until translucent. Stir onion, figs, half the got cheese, vinager, sugar, salt and pepper into potato/onion mixture and toss to mix well. Cover and chill for at least 45 minutes.
Stir in reserved pancetta and oil. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Top each serving with remaining goat cheese and green onions.