Ponti???s Purple Potato Risotto
- Cal: 316
- By: Jake Reagan, Ponti Seafood Grill, Seattle
- 2 pounds Washington purple or blue potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 slice bacon, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- Fresh thyme sprigs or chives for garnish
- Fresh chive blossoms, for garnish
Chive Oil: Rinse 1 bunch fresh chives and trim ends. Blanch in boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well, squeezing out as much water as possible. Chop coarsely. In a blender, combine chopped chives with 1 cup canola oil and blend on high. Line a strainer with a coffee filter and strain chive oil. It should be clear and green. Set aside.
Scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel and finely dice potatoes. In a large skillet over high heat, melt butter. Add bacon and garlic and saute- té until garlic begins to brown. Add potatoes and thyme leaves and cook 2 minutes. Add cream and vinegar, reduce heat to low and cook until cream is reduced and potatoes are tender but still hold their shape, about 5 minutes. The mixture should be creamy. If the liquid reduces too quickly, add a small amount of water to keep potatoes moist. Season to taste with salt and pepper.