Potato Latkes with Onion-Apple Topping
- Srv: 10
- By: Chef Logan Niles
- 1lb WA Potatoes, peeled + shredded
- ½ cp Yellow Onion, peeled + shredded
- 1Tbs + 2stp Kosher Salt
- 2tsp Thyme, fresh + chopped
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1-1.25cps Potato Starch
- 1/4cp light cooking oil
- 2cps Onions (yellow + red), peeled and sliced thin
- 1tsp Light Cooking Oil
- 1cp Fuji Apples, peeled and small diced
- 1 Tbs Whole Butter
- 1 Bay Leaf, fresh
- 2tsp Sugar
- 1tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Coriander, ground
- Pinch of Clove
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Thyme, fresh + chopped
Combine the shredded potato with all of the spices and beaten egg. Mix well and carefully making sure not to break up the potato. Add in enough potato starch to hold everything together.
- Heat 2-3Tbs of oil in a heavy saute pan (non-stick is ideal) over medium heat. Make pancakes with 1 Tbs of batter. Carefully brown 1-2 Tbs of potato batter, turning over until both sides are golden.Add more oil to the pan as needed until all of the mixture is gone.
Add more oil to the pan as needed until all of the mixture is gone.
Rest cooked latkes on a tray lined with paper towels to drain and cool.
Make the onion-apple topping by sauteing the onions in 1tsp of oil over medium heat until they are soft and lightly caramelized, 3-4mins.
Remove onions, wipe down pan with a paper towel, then add in butter and diced apples over medium-low heat.
Saute apples for 2-3mins until slightly golden and soft but with some give.
Add the sugar, spices, caramelized onions and cook for another 1-2mins until the sugar is dissolved.
Deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar and finish with freshly chopped thyme.