Ponti???s Yukon Gold Potato and Fennel Gratin
- Srv: 12
- Cal: 330
- By: Jake Reagan, Ponti Seafood Grill, Seattle
- 4 pounds (about 8) Washington Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Velouté Sauce:
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced chives (optional)
- 1/2 each sweet red and yellow peppers, seeded and cut in julienne strips
Preheat oven to 375°F. Scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel potatoes. With a mandoline or very sharp knife, slice potatoes and fennel bulb very thin. In a large bowl, toss potato and fennel slices with cream, cheese, salt, and pepper. In buttered 9x13x2- inch baking dish arrange potato fennel mixture in an even layer. Cover with foil. Bake until the cream is reduced and thickened, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is browned about 5 minutes. Let stand briefly before serving.
Meanwhile, prepare Velouté Sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat clarified butter. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly. Slowly whisk in stock. Heat to boiling, then reduce to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain sauce through a fine-mesh strainer. Stir in bacon and chives, if desired.
To serve: Cut in 3- by 3-inch squares, trimming edges. Spoon about 2 tablespoons Veloute sauce into the center of each warmed serving plate. Place gratin square on the sauce. Garnish with julienne pepper strips.