Ground Beef Potato Casserole By The Typical Mom
Cheesy ground beef casserole with potatoes is perfect for breakfast or a potluck! Like cheeseburger scalloped potatoes, this will become a family fave.
We have the best ground beef casserole your family will love! This cheesy ground beef casserole with potatoes has been an Easter side dish as well as a breakfast brunch item at our house. Try it and see what all the hype is about! Sponsored by Washington potatoes. Have you ever made a ground beef and potato casserole? It’s super easy and is like an amped up scalloped potatoes dish you love making during the holidays. So hearty it can even be served as a main dish throughout the week. Love ground sausage? Use that instead! I love half spicy sausage and half hamburger meat to bring even more flavor to the dish.
We are going to start with some peeled and sliced Washington potatoes! Russet potatoes are best for this ground beef sliced potato casserole recipe. Use what you can find at the store I say. If 80/20 is what’s on hand then use that. A roll of ground sausage works really well too though. You’ll need to precook it before you add it into you dish like you see here below.
Ingredients for this potato casserole
- Washington russet potatoes
- Ground beef or sausage
- Cream of chicken soup
- Evaporated milk
Suggested seasonings are in the recipe card below too. You can use your own favorites though if you prefer. Of course I always add garlic of some kind because it’s a fave in this house. What should I serve with ground beef comes to mind a lot when I have a block in my fridge and want to make something different. I don’t always want a hamburger on a bun, that just doesn’t cut it as comfort food to me. 😉 Now add it in with some cheesy potatoes and now you’re talkin’!! Yes, it’s kinda’ like a scalloped potato casserole y’all. Can’t get much better than that! 😉 Let’s get started with types of ground beef out there to choose from: The four main ones are “regular” ground beef, ground chuck, round, and sirloin. They all look pretty similar but the main differences are the amounts of fat in each and price. We buy half a cow at the beginning of each year so ours is organic, grass fed, and quite low in fat. If you typically buy 80/20 that is totally fine too. Use what you have on hand I always say. If you have leftover ham you could use that instead too! NOW, how many types of potatoes are there? The main potato types are: russet, red, white, yellow, blue/purple, fingerling and petite. We are using Washington russet potatoes this time. I suggest these or yellow if you prefer. Both are softer and make for a great base for our potato casserole here. What are the most popular cheeses to use? There are a TON out there but for this I suggest cheddar or a combination of this and maybe jack or mozzarella.
Here are the steps to take in order to make this ground beef casserole
- In a large skillet over medium heat add a bit of olive oil, ground beef and diced onions. You could add some diced bell pepper too if you wanted.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink, then set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together your can of condensed soup, evaporated milk, milk, garlic powder, any seasonings like salt and pepper to taste.
- Once your potatoes are peeled and sliced lay a layer on the bottom of your 9×13″ baking dish
- Then a layer of your beef mixture
- Followed by 1 cup of cheese
- Then repeat with these layers so there are 3 total.
- Pour your potato soup mixture on top of everything and cover with foil.
- Put into a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour
- Then remove foil, sprinkle on remaining cheddar cheese and continue baking for another 10 – 20 minutes longer until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender.
- Allow to sit on a cooling rack for 15 minutes before serving with a dollop of sour cream on top!
Your mouth is already watering isn’t it??!! I know, it is delicious for sure and perfect year round and with any company. Other easy potato recipe ideas we know you’ll love too are:
We have tons of great air fryer potato recipes here like our
- Air fryer SPAM and potatoes
- Instant Pot sweet potato casserole
- This is really the best way to make baked potatoes
- These are the best slow cooker cheesy potatoes