French Roast Washington Potatoes
- Srv: 12
- Cal: 96
- By: Douglas A. Fisher Inland Northwest Culinary Academy at Spokane Community College Spokane, Washington
- 6 large Washington Russet potatoes
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Scrub potatoes under cold running water. Peel.
Cut each potato in half lengthwise and place on cutting board, cut side down. Cut 1/8-inch thick slices in each potato half, cutting to within ¼ to ½ inch of the bottom, but not completely through.
Arrange potato halves, cut side up, in a buttered 9x13-inch or 10x12-inch baking pan and set aside.
In a small skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is caramelized, about 10 minutes. Spoon onions over potatoes in the pan.
Pour in chicken stock and add thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover with waxed paper and then with foil.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven until tender but not mushy, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove foil and waxed paper and sprinkle tops of potatoes with Parmesan. Return to oven just until cheese begins to brown, about 5 minutes.