Chicken and Potatoes Ulderico
- Complexity: easy
- Srv: 6
- By: Arlene Ong
- 3 pounds Washington Yellow Finn or other yellow or gold potatoes
- 6 chicken breast halves, skin on or 6 leg/thigh pieces
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 shallots, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup banana catsup or sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 (8 1/2 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained, reserving liquid
- 1/3 cup bias cut baby sweet pickles or gherkins
- Oil for frying
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional)
- 3 cups cooked white Jasmine rice
- Fresh basil or tarragon for garnish
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel. Cut potatoes into tournes (to match photo) or into eighths lengthwise. Place cut potatoes and trimmings in dish and cover with cold water. Set aside.
In large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken, skin side down, and brown. Remove chicken to baking pan and place in oven while preparing sauce.
Add shallots to skillet and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until caramelized. Stir in tomato sauce and banana catsup and simmer until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Add half the potatoes (or the trimmings if potatoes were cut tourne), and salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add chicken stock. Adjust taste using fish sauce or salt. Stir to mash potato pieces to thicken sauce. Stir in pepper pieces, pineapple and pickles. Stir in reserved liquid from pineapple, if needed, to thin the sauce.
While chicken is cooking, fry potatoes in 350° deep oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Divide rice among serving plates. Serve one chicken breast or leg/thigh on rice on each plate and spoon sauce over. Top each serving with fried potatoes. Garnish with basil or tarragon leaves.