Best Dill Air Fryer Red Potatoes-The Typical Mom
Wow did these air fryer red potatoes come out good!! I was trying to come up with a yummy and cheap air fryer recipe and voila, it’s now one of my kids’ favorite side dishes! Special thanks goes out to WA Potatoes for sponsoring this post.
- Whether you’re new to this handy kitchen appliance, or have been using a Ninja Foodior other brand for quite some time now, you’ll love this one.
- The main ingredients are Washington potatoeswith some olive oil, and all the seasonings you love.
EASY peasy right??!! Now grab a few of these beauties at the store and let’s get going. 😉
Small or large, red potatoes are great to use. Yes we make air fryer baked potatoesoften with russets but when I am in a hurry THESE diced potatoes come out perfect in just minutes.
- The key is to slice your pieces so they are all a similar size.
- If not, some won’t be tender yet and others will be too brown.
- I show you here how I cut each of my petite potatoes, about 9 pieces each. If you choose small baby red potatoes I would cut them into fourths.
Quick and easy to do, just throw them into a large bowl when you’re done.
Ingredients for potatoes in the air fryer
- Red potatoes-yes you could use Yukon golds, diced sweet potatoes, russet, or mix a few different varieties just realize some are firmer than others and may get done faster if you mix them.
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh dill
- Any other seasonings you like on diced potatoes
This is how to make air fryer roasted potatoes
- Dice red potatoes into 1.5″x1.5″ pieces (approximately = 9 pieces per medium potato)
- Put them into a bowl with your olive oil and toss.
- Season with salt, garlic powder, garlic salt, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon dill, salt and pepper, and whatever other seasonings you love.
- Toss to coat and preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees right now.
- Pour contents into your air fryer basket so they’re in one layer and not overlapping.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes or until you have crispy potatoes on the outside, and tender inside to your liking.
Air fryer cooking is the best!! Yes, I still love myInstant Potand once you fall in love with these you should make our Instant Pot cheesy bacon potatoestoo. BUT an air fryer potatohas that crunchy skin you love
How many different kinds of potatoes are there? There are actually more than 200 varieties of potatoes in the United States.
- Each of these varieties fit into one of these categories: russet, red, white, yellow, blue or purple, fingerling and petite.
Where are potatoes grown in Washington State?
- Primarily in eastern Washington and the Skagit Valley you can find some of the best taters! The climatic conditions are great, it has rich volcanic soil, lots of water available, and yields long growing seasons.
- Did you know that Washington State has the world’s highest potato yield per acre??!!
By themselves, the red variety have a thinner skin and a very subtle, sweet flavor. The waxy like outside texture helps them stay firmer when cooked. This makes them ideal for stews, soups, salads, and make for a colorful side dish.
Are air fried potatoes healthy? Compared to traditionally deep fried foods submerged in oil, this method is much healthier, yes!
They are lower in fat, calories, and don’t have the after taste you get when they’re fried in oil. BUT if you do want crispy potato skins, this method works much better than if you were to bake them.
- The only close second is when we made smoked potatoes, but those took hours and hours to get done.
- With hot air circulating around your tater pieces, you now can have exactly what you’re looking for in under 20 minutes flat!
Best thing is, you can always find a wide variety of potatoesfrom Washington in your local grocery store no matter what time of year it is!
Should you soak potatoes in salt water before frying?
Before frying potatoes some people like to rinse them in cold water to remove excess starch. This can cause the potatoes to stick together and if done so tends to allow the fries or diced pieces to become crispier.
- Note that I don’t tend to do this because I am all about FAST and easy dishes under 30 minutes including prep time.
- Feel free to do so if you’d like. 😉
For crispier potatoes, soak the potatoes in salt water for several minutes before cooking.
Looking for more potato recipe ideas?
- You can make slow cooker baked potatoesif you’re a Crockpot lover.
- Our loaded baked potato soupmakes me water just thinking about it.
- We made air fryer spam and potatoesrecently too and it was a great way to “beef” them up.
YES you can double or triple this recipe, just remember each batch should be in one layer and not overlap for best results.