Baked Potato and Cabbage Soup
- Complexity: easy
- Srv: 4
- 2 medium Washington Russet Potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium onions), chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 quart chicken broth or stock
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small head savoy cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
Preheat oven to 400°.
Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Poke potato several times with a fork. Bake until tender, about 50 to 60 minutes.
Let cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out flesh. (Use skins for appetizers or other uses). Press through ricer or food mill.
In large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and anchovies and cook stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until evaporated. Add the chicken stock, riced potatoes and oregano and boil until reduced by half.
In another pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add cabbage and cook until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Combine potato and cabbage mixtures.
Divide among soup bowls. Place soup bowls on baking sheet for easier handling. Sprinkle cheese over soup in each bowl. Bake until tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes.