Corn and Potato Chowder
A perfect meal-in-a-bowl for busy weeknights or special weekends.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 slices 30% less fat center-cut bacon
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz. Washington red potatoes
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 1 (8.5 oz.) can cream-style corn
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Chop 2 slices of the bacon. Over medium-high heat, heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add the sliced and chopped bacon and cook until crisp, turning slices occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes. Move sliced bacon to paper towel and set aside. Add onion, carrot and thyme to pan with the chopped bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the corn kernels and garlic. Cook 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water, cut into ½ -inch cubes. Add potatoes, broth, half-and-half and cream style corn to pan with onion mixture. Heat until simmering, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Carefully pour 2 cups of the potato mixture into blender and puree. Return puree to the pan and stir. Divide among 4 bowls. Crumble reserved 2 slices of bacon over each bowl.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 279 calories, 10 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat (25% of calories from fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 670 mg sodium.