Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Topped Potatoes Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is a favorite in England. This fancied up version is easy and full of flavor. See the recipe for Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup grape or small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350° and coat a 1 ½-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Have a recipe of Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes prepared or left over.
- Over medium high heat, heat a large nonstick skillet. Add beef and cook breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Spoon beef into a large bowl and set aside. Return skillet to heat and add onion, garlic and basil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add wine and tomatoes and cook until mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots and cook until thawed, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth and tomato paste. Cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in beef, salt and pepper. Turn into prepared baking dish. Spread Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes evenly over top of beef mixture.
- Bake until filling is bubbling up around the edges of the baking dish, about 20 minutes. Switch oven to broil and broil until top is lightly browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 330 calories, 21 g protein, 35 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat, 4 g saturated fat (31% of calories from fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 433 mg sodium.